Thursday, May 14, 2009

Rude Awakening


I am conflicted. I have been a vegetarian for 11 months and have enjoyed feeling better internally from a digestive standpoint, and a feel good in my heart standpoint. But, I also need to lose 50-60 pounds to be at a healthy weight and being a vegetarian is holding me back.


The problem with being veg is that I end up eating complex carbohydrates to make up for the lack of substance I have with my veggie and fruit meals. Also, the meat and dairy substitutes tend to be very high in calories and soy which has a lot of estrogen. Estrogen is a big culprit for causing unwanted belly fat to stick around your middle. Not to mention that I already have very high estrogen levels to begin with.


Because I am working out intesively I need food that is going to get me through the workouts, so vegetables are not cutting it. I have felt very light headed and lethargic the last couple workouts, even with protein shakes. My trainer is married to a nutritionist/dietition and she is looking over my diet the last 14 days to see what improvements I can make, but overall it looks like I am going to have to give up carbs and eat a minimal amount of chicken and or turkey.


I hate to do it because I feel so much better not eating it, but then again. I want and need to lose weight. So which one is healthier? Being overweight and being veg, or working toward a normal weight and eating meat. I can tell you how the animals would answer!

No comments: